Rhodiola and Ashwagandha are two powerful adaptogenic herbs that are quickly becoming the most taken supplements for a good reason!
Adaptogens help the entire body function optimally by working with the body's nervous systems and regulating hormones. This enables them to have incredible benefits, including stress relief, cognitive enhancement and more energy.
Here we will break down the benefits of Rhodiola and Ashwagandha and discuss why you should take them together for the best results. We will also give you our recommendation for the best supplement containing both of these dynamic adaptogenic herbs.
Adaptogenic Herbs - Explained
Adaptogens such as Ashwagandha and Rhodiola have been used for thousands of years as medicinal plants to help improve health and wellness. However, adaptogens were not studied until the 1940s, when scientists hoped to help healthy pilots enhance their performance. They were looking for a superhero pill to enable pilots to fly faster, better, and for longer periods of time. Their search was successful. They discovered adaptogens.
How do Adaptogens Work?
Adaptogens work at a molecular level to create balance in the HPA-Axis, a complex interaction between the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland, and the adrenal glands.
The HPA axis is the primary physiological system for the body's stress response. It plays a crucial role in regulating the synthesis and release of endocrine hormones, including cortisol - a major stress hormone.
Typically, when our bodies are stressed, we go through three stages:
- Alarm - We encounter a stressor; for example, we start working out. The central nervous system is awakened, and your body's defences prepare for fight or flight.
- Resistance - Lower blood pressure and a decreased heart rate allow our bodies to normalize. At the same time, our ability to concentrate on the task at hand is increased; our body resists the stressor, and we feel energized and clearer.
- Exhaustion - We fatigue and can no longer continue with the task at hand.
Adaptogens work in the resistance phase and allow us to concentrate and feel clearer and more alert for longer before becoming fatigued. Research has found that they have many benefits, including:
- Antidepressive effects.
- Prevent stress and fatigue.
- Neuroprotective properties.
- Enhance attention.
- Stimulant for central nervous system
- Increase mental work capacity.
Sound too good to be true? Well, time and time again, studies have shown adaptogens to be as good as they appear.
First up is the king of Ayurvedic herbs - Ashwagandha. This herb has been used in Eastern medicine for thousands of years to relieve stress, increase strength and vitality, improve the immune system, and enhance sexual function - it is even mentioned in the Kama Sutra!
Benefits of Ashwagandha
- Improved Stress Response - Ashwagandha is an adaptogen. Therefore, it improves the way your body handles stressors. Several clinical trials have shown that Ashwagandha can decrease stress and anxiety. (1)(2) In one particular double-blind placebo-controlled study, it was also shown to improve sleep as a result. (3)
- Improved Memory and Focus - Ashwagha helps memory, cognition, and reaction time. (4)
- Increased Muscle Strength - Researchers are excited about the ability of Ashwagandha to improve muscle strength and size. In one study, it increased speed and strength in healthy adults. (5)
- Lower Blood Sugar and Fat - Several studies have found Ashwagandha can reduce blood glucose levels and triglycerides (the most common type of fat in the blood). (6)
- Enhance Female Sexual Experience - Ashwagandha has been sown to improve women's lubrication, arousal, and orgasm. (7)
- Boosted Testosterone Levels in Men - Ashwagandha has repeatedly been shown to increase testosterone as well as sperm count and mobility in men. One study found that Ashwagandha increases testosterone levels for men but not women. (8)
- Improved VO2 Levels - Studies have shown that Ashwagandha can increase VO2 max levels, which improves how the heart and lungs deliver oxygen to muscles during physical activity. (9)
Rhodiola Rosea also has a long history in traditional medicine to treat stress, anxiety, depression and fatigue.
Benefits of Rhodiola Rosea
- Lower Stress - Rhodiola is an adaptogen that improves how your body handles stressors. It has even been shown to help people recover from burnout. (10)
- Fight Fatigue - This medicinal herb can help fight against fatigue due to its adaptogenic properties. In one study, participants experienced less fatigue and stress and improved mood, concentration, and quality of life. (11)
- Improved Mood - Low blood can be due to chemical imbalances; Rhodiola helps balance the neurotransmitters in your brain and improves mood. In one study, it was found even to improve symptoms for people wth depression. (12)
- Enhanced Brain Function - In a review of 36 studies it was concluded that Rhodiola can improve learning and memory. (13)
- Improved Exercise Performance - Due to its effects on mental and physical fatigue, Rhodiola can improve exercise performance. In one animal study, it was shown to improve muscle power and strength. (14) In other studies, it has decreased perceived exhaustion, allowing people to work out harder for longer. (15)
Rhodiola and Ashwagandha: How Do They Work Together?
As you can see, the benefits of Ashwagandha and Rhodiola are similar due to their shared adaptogenic properties.
Ongoing stress puts a lot of stress on the mind and body, and over time, our bodies become desensitized to stress hormones such as cortisol and fail to halt its production.
Restoring balance to the nervous systems and improving the bodies response to stress has a lot of benefits. Stress is associated with a number of chronic diseases, gut ailments, poor focus, fatigue, poor sleep, and more. By improving the way, your body reacts to stress, your overall health and wellness are sure to improve.
The benefits of both Ashwagandha and Rhodiola include:
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Increased mental and physical energy without the stimulants
- Improved mental focus
- Improved athletic performance
- Improved overall health.
The Best Product Containing Both Ashwagandha and Rhodiola
A nootropic stack is the best way to reduce stress and improve energy and focus.
Centrapeak contains 10 researched backed and clinically dosed ingredients, including Ashwagandha and Rhodiola. It has been designed for men to boost their testosterone levels, increase strength and energy, enhance libido, reduce stress, and improve confidence and overall health.
Centrapeak aims to restore your vigour so that you get back to your peak performance. It contains medicinal herbs, vitamins and minerals that have been expertly formulated to get you back to your best self.
Can I take Rhodiola and Ashwagandha together?
Ashwagandha and Rhodiola are two of the most well-studied adaptogenic herbs. Numerous studies have shown their incredible ability to aid the body's stress response and thus fight fatigue and improve mood and concentration, amongst other benefits.
But you don't have to pick between these incredible herbs. They can be taken together for the most benefits.
What supplements should not be taken with Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha might interact with supplements that cause sleepiness, like kava, St. John's wort, valerian, and others.
Are Ashwagandha and Rhodiola Rosea Safe?
While Ashwagandha or Rhodiola are well-tolerated by most people, if you have any health conditions such as thyroid problems, cancer, or bleeding disorders then you should discuss supplementation with your doctor. As both could interact with certain medications, including thyroid medication and anti-anxiety medication.
Is it OK to take Ashwagandha and Rhodiola every day?
Both Ashwagandha and Rhodiola are considered safe for everyday use and have little risk of side effects.
What does Rhodiola do for your body?
Rhodiola is used for increasing energy, strength, stamina, and mental capacity. As an adaptogen, it can help the body adapt to and resist stress, whether environmental, physical or chemical.
What does Ashwagadha do for your body?
Ashwagandha calms the brain, lowers blood pressure, improves physical performance, boost testosterone, and improves focus. In addition, it is an adaptogen and improves many conditions related to stress.
Which is better, Ashwagandha or Rhodiola Rosea?
While Ashwagandha has the most relaxing benefits, Rhodiola has the most stimulating and energizing benefits. Together they can help maintain a calm, concentrated, and stable energy all day long. They're both remarkable herbs, and it is difficult to say if one is better than the other. They are best taken together!
What is the best way to take Ashwagandha and Rhodia Rosea together?
The best way to take these two powerful herbs together is in a full nootropic stack. Our favourite product right now is Centrapeak, many people have experienced the benefits of this expertly formulated product, and you could be next.
This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. As with any new supplement, seek medical advice from your doctor before use.
← Older Post Newer Post →